Saturday, November 2, 2019

NOT WHAT YOU KNOW BUT WHO YOU KNOW

When I was growing up, I frequently heard the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know."  Of course, this is said by people who feel they were left out of something because they did not have the proper "qualifications."

The above statement particularly applies to graduates of Ivy League schools that in my experience "Ivy League graduates have to prove they cannot do the job whereas the rest of us have to prove we can do the job."  This is why certain wealthy parents are willing to make illegal bribes to get their children into certain colleges, i.e. graduating from these colleges will probably" get you through the door" in applications.

Though my Ph.D. was not from any of the Ivy League colleges, I did get a job because an old professor at my undergraduate college remembered me and hired me into a job that I was qualified to do, but not what I expected to do.  In hindsight, I have no complaints.

I also feel that graduates of Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are more equal among Ivy League equals.

The point of all this is what people don't realize is that the Ukraine electric company did not want Hunter Biden for his expertise in electricity but in the hopes that he could open some doors for the electric company.  If he did that, he was well worth the money, said to be $50,000/mo.**

To review: The eight members are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University. Ivy League has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.* (Underlining added)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League
**https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/15/trump-lawyer-giuliani-was-paid-500000-to-consult-on-indicted-associates-firm.htmll

No comments:

Post a Comment