Saturday, December 16, 2017

LABOR FORCE PARTICIPATION: BLUE VS RED STATES

Some insights are emerging as to why certain people are so angry at our government (Wall Street Journal).  Job prospects in red states seem to be poorer than in blue states where labor force participation is increasing, at least temporarily.*

Labor force participation in blue states was 62.4% last December (2016) whereas it rose to 63.9% in September (2017).  The figures for red states were 62.1% last December and 62.0% in September.   The participation rate in red states is, however, still above the low of 61.9% in September of 2016.  For red states there was a peak in between the two dates where red states hit 62.6% in April (2017), but since then has collapsed (see figure).

Why is this so?  The WSJ reports that:
Though the labor market has grown robustly nationwide this year, progress has been uneven across blue states and red states. An increasing number of people in red states have stopped looking for work, while a larger share of people in blue states are actively in the workforce.*

(Click on figure to enlarge)

“It’s industrial composition. [Red states] are heavy in industries that are downsizing and automating where prospects just look bad,” said Robin Brooks, chief economist at IIF. “The [overall] job market is skewing toward high-value-added jobs.”*

* https://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2017/11/28/why-are-people-in-red-states-dropping-out-of-the-labor-force/?mod=djemRTE_h

1 comment:

  1. When I thought about the way things have been recently, i owe my thanks to God for letting me find this amazing personality, i mailed Mr. alex roughly 2 months now, I was actually very uncertain about investing, very scared because i was also low on cash.I gave it my all, my first investment of $2,000 two weeks ago brought me $ 29,230 last week, and what intrigues me the most is the way him handles he partners, i recommend him too to my friend jeff, after trading with him, his testimonies have let me come here to attest for him. We are happy to meet a professional in you. I am proud to recommend him to any person who has a passion for trading, meet a good mentor and get good fortunes.Contact this veteran at: totalinvestmentcompany@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete