Tuesday, December 19, 2017

AL FRANKEN: SECOND THOUGHTS

  I thought that Al Franken gave a classy goodbye speech from the Senate in response to sexual misconduct allegations.*  Then I read Peggy Noonan’s article in the WSJ where she used her considerable intellectual skills to trash the whole thing.**

   Noonan did grant that the groping of the sleeping woman, Leeann Tweeden, in a helmet and flack jacket might be simulated.  Clearly in the picture, Franken’s left hand was not close to touching her.  I thought it was kind of funny.  After all, groping a woman in a flack jacket would be like groping a wall.  But I guess this is the type of things that, if you have to explain it, you might as well not bother.

   Thirty-six women from Saturday Night Live signed a letter including the passage: “That is why we are moved to quickly and directly affirm that after years of working with him, .... not one of us ever experienced any inappropriate behavior; and mention our sincere appreciation that he treated us with the utmost respect and regard.”  Some female Senate staffers have made similar statements.***

   Franken immediately volunteered for an ethics committee investigation and profusely apologized to Ms. Tweeden, who accepted his apology.  Of the women who accused Franken of sexual harassment, I only recall one that he said was “categorically not true.”  About some others, he said he remembered events differently.  One woman, who wanted her picture taken with him, accused him of pinching skin above her hip.  But Franken was not allowed to have his day in court.  Like they said in the wild west, “Do we hang him now, or wait ‘til after the trial and hang him then?”

   Now, a few male Senators have come out to say that Franken was , well, railroaded, and they wish he wouldn't retire,**** but it seems he has not changed his mind.  I agree that he shouldn't renege.

* http://stopcontinentaldrift.blogspot.com/2017/11/sen-al-franken-etc.html
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/16/16665830/al-franken-sexual-assault-allegations
** https://www.wsj.com/articles/al-franken-departs-without-grace-1512691869
*** http://time.com/5033572/saturday-night-live-women-alumni-al-franken/
**** https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/12/democrats-are-second-guessing-the-al-franken-precedent

1 comment:

  1. When I thought about the way things have been recently, i owe my thanks to God for letting me find this amazing personality, i mailed Mr. alex roughly 2 months now, I was actually very uncertain about investing, very scared because i was also low on cash.I gave it my all, my first investment of $2,000 two weeks ago brought me $ 29,230 last week, and what intrigues me the most is the way him handles he partners, i recommend him too to my friend jeff, after trading with him, his testimonies have let me come here to attest for him. We are happy to meet a professional in you. I am proud to recommend him to any person who has a passion for trading, meet a good mentor and get good fortunes.Contact this veteran at: totalinvestmentcompany@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete