Friday, March 6, 2015

HILLARY'S E-MAILS

So it turns out the Hillary Clinton kept her e-mails on a private server while she was Secretary of State, contrary to the rules.  It is said that she has turned over 55,000 (!) e-mails to the State Department for their review.  As one who was in the Senior Executive Service (SES) a long time ago, I think the controversy is overblown.  When I got out of my SES position, my hard copy records were to be turned over to the archives, but they were disposed of.  Frankly I was a bit disappointed in this.  There certainly was no effort to keep my e-mails.  I had kept some of them on floppies so I have some sort of a record that frankly, I only accessed once that I remember in the 25 yrs since the job.

But what I want to consider is the 55,000 Hillary e-mails  (and there is some thought that there may be more).  Let's see, she was Secretary of State for 4 yrs which comes to 13,750 e-mails a year which comes to 37.67 e-mails a day, including Saturdays and Sundays, or 1.57 e-mails an hour 24 hrs a day.  Let's say she worked 12 hrs a day so that comes to 3 e-mails/hour seven days a week or one every 20 min.  I don't know about you, but I find this to be incredible.  After all there must have been meetings of various kinds where she didn't e-mail.  These e-mails presumably did not involve classified information so classified documents adds to the total as do any letters.

I continue to be amazed at the number of e-mails and other records seem to be involved in government work.  Even on the "bridge-gate" scandal of Chris Cristie's governorship there were apparently thousands of e-mails and other documents:  The report relied on documents provided by the governor's office and interviews with 75 witnesses,[148] including Christie and others from his administration, but no one interviewed had been at the Port Authority at the time of the lane closings.[207] The interviews were not under oath.[208] The report also was based on more than 250,000 documents, many of them emails and text messages.[207] Transcripts of the interviews and the names of the interviewees were not released at the time the report was made public.[146] It has been estimated that the tax-payer funded report cost more than $1 million.[208] 

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lee_lane_closure_scandal

No comments:

Post a Comment