Monday, February 19, 2018

OUTSIDE AND INSIDE - Biographical

Where I live in North Carolina, there is a man who, well, has a scowl on his face, and didn't look friendly.  As a result, he almost always dined alone although he sat at a table of four.  One luncheon time, I said to my fiance, "Let's go have lunch with him." so we did.  It turned out he was a very engaging fellow and had interesting stories to tell.  In one he referred to a girlfriend he had many decades ago with a lady by the name of Maurice Delevaux.  Now, that is an unusual name, so I asked him if she lived in Washington, D.C., and he said yes.  So I asked him if her father owned a jewelry store and he said yes.  So I said, "She was my assistant for 20 years!"  Small world indeed.

Later he showed me a picture of Maurice and him at her high school senior prom.  She was in a formal, of course, and he in a sailor suit.

Now, whenever I see him he gives me a big smile, and we pass a few words.  He's proud to have turned 91, and I told him to keep on truckin'.  He said to me, "The same to you."

The moral of this story is that the outside of a package may not reflect what's inside.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know who you are or what this blog is about, but searched to make sure I remembered how Maurice spelled her name - and yours was the first hit. Maurice was the chief chemist/lab director in the 1980s when I was a graduate student intern at the USGS Branch of Isotope Geology at the Denver Federal Center. Yes, her dad was a Swiss watchmaker/jeweler who came to the US as a Cartier employee, and then opened his own shop in DC. She went to Georgetown and worked as a chemist at a nuclear lab at the DC Navy Yard before the USGS & Denver. She was a great lady!

    ReplyDelete