Friday, August 25, 2017

OH, WERE YOU GONE? (Biographical)

In case you haven't noticed, my last post was August 19th.  The problem was that the IRS decided to audit my 1959 income tax return.  The thing that bothered them was the claim of a large income deduction for alimony paid to my first wife by court order.  They want me to prove the court order.  It turns out that the divorce decree was in September 1989, nearly 28 years ago!

I have moved many times since then.  But it was my lucky day and it turned out that the divorce settlement was in the front of the first file I pulled!  I also have found my 1099 from the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) showing the court ordered deduction from my income.  I also found the annual OPM adjustment statement for 2017 showing the court ordered deduction.  The sums to my ex are directly paid to her by OPM and do not go though my hands so there is no problem with cashed checks. Whew!

I then took the opportunity to file things laying around that took a lot of time.  Well, now things are in pretty good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment