Wednesday, December 14, 2011

REMEMBRANCE OF A SPRING MORN

A funny thing happened to me the other day. It was about seven-thirty in the morning, and I was going to work. It was one of those wonderful mornings that we have been having lately. The sky was as clear as crystal with only a few big puffy white clouds floating here and there. The sun shown brightly. With its low angle it cast long black shadows through the trees which cut deep marks across the spring grass. The morning was pleasantly cool, and that indescribable smell of spring came through the open car windows. I was just driving along dreaming of nothing in particular, not concentrating on my driving. From time to time I would gulp in huge breaths of fresh air just because it tasted and smelled so good.

All of a sudden I became aware of wheels fast approaching me from behind as if to pass, but they did not. They continued to follow close behind. Probably of all the irksome things I can think of, having a car tail close behind bothers me the most. I looked through my rear view mirror to see how near he was, but I could see nothing. He must have been out in the blind spot that the mirror does not cover so that I figured that he would pass me any moment, but he did not. Finally I stuck my head out of the window and looked back. You know it's very odd, but it was my own tires that I heard.

1952

No comments:

Post a Comment