Monday, November 21, 2011

THE DREAM (Biographical)

The other night I had a rather strange dream. Let me tell you about it. I had just graduated from high school, and I now felt very old and mature. I was walking around downtown when I noticed this peculiar store window. I was just about to cross the street, but something I saw in this window caught my eye so that I went to the window instead. Whether the store was a real one or purely dream work now escapes me; however, I do remember that the window contained a varied selection of clothes and sporting goods just sort of strewn around to simulate a careless look. You know what I mean. The general store type atmosphere in the big city, a secret refuge for Saturday sportsman and little boys. At any rate, hanging in this window in the back was this sweat shirt. Not just an ordinary sweat shirt but what we used to call football shirts when I was just a punk. It was yellow, and it had a piece of leather sewn on the chest which was in the shape of a football. I had owned one that was somewhat similar but that was long ago, and I had forgotten about it until now. The one I owned was blue though and also had three strips of leather on the left sleeve. All of a sudden the thought struck me of how nice it would be to own something like it again. You know, I had just decided to buy it when I remembered that I was too old for such things now. I turned and walked away.

1952

No comments:

Post a Comment