Thursday, April 30, 2015

DRESSING FOR GEOLOGICAL BANQUETS - Biographical

A few decades ago, I was to give an address honoring one of my colleagues at an international meeting of geochemists.  It was to be in Tucson, AZ, in the summer.  Tucson is near the Mexican border.  I told my wife that she would have to take a nice dress through she usually wore trousers, pedal pushers, or , on rare occasions, shorts.  She rebelled against this, but I insisted so she finally agreed and did include a nice dress.  So the night of the banquet, she duly got into her dress and panty hose on this blistering hot day, and we went to the reception.  In came the female geologists from their day in the field dressed in flop-flops, shorts and dirty, stringy hair, and nap sacks.  My wife gave me a look of "You'll never get me to do this again."

Some years later I again was to give an address honoring a friend of mine at a Geological Society of America banquet during their annual meeting in Denver, CO, in October when it is often still hot.  This time I didn't insist that my wife dress up.  It was a good thing because the same this happened in this up-scale hotel where the banquet was to be held as the women geologists came in dressed in their "uniforms" of flop-flops, shorts, dirty, stringy hair, and nap sacks.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment