Wednesday, January 8, 2014

FRAC OIL AND GAS

(From a post on Motley Fool, Macro Economic Trends and Risks Board # 441799)

I don't know about you, but I don't feel good about the U.S. exporting frac oil.  The news this morning was all excitement over the U.S. becoming the largest exporter of oil in 20 yrs (or something).   I have been for frac oil (and natural gas) because I thought it would get us out of the Middle East debacle. But frac oil uses lots of resources, the most important being an average of 3 million gallons of water PER HOLE. So far as I know, little of this water is recycled for other holes and even less is reclaimed. Water is a resource also! And those vicious compounds that are being poured into the water to "enhance" recovery of oil and natural gas come from something also. You don't just drill a hole and oil or natural gas comes rushing out. A lot else is involved.

And even to export LNG (Liquid Natural Gas), the process is expensive and a LOT of NG is wasted to cool the supply ships and the pipes carrying the LNG and producing the LNG.

Though I can see some value in strategic sales, I donno, it looks like a great waste to me if it is done just for revenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment