Monday, July 15, 2013

ZIMMERMAN II

It seems to me that the jury that acquitted George Zimmerman of 2nd degree murder or manslaughter, ignored an important fact, i.e. Zimmerman could not have drawn his gun until Trayvon Martin was getting off of him.  The fight was over, but not for Zimmerman no matter what he said to Martin.  I  know from my youth that it is very dangerous to turn your back on someone whom you just beat in a fight and got to say "uncle" or something..  It was as Martin got off of him that an enraged Zimmerman undoubtedly shot Martin as the prosecution said.  Actually from just listening to the 911 call, Zimmerman was enraged from the beginning and had convicted Martin of a crime.  I think Zimmerman deserved 2nd degree murder but manslaughter would have been all right.  Still, the jury spoke and Martin's family have properly asked for calm. I was told after I was on a jury once that you never know how a jury will give a verdict.

As for banging Zimmerman's head against the concrete, nonsense.  Such a small bruise, scratches really, could easily have happened in the initial fall and then more of a touch on the sidewalk and not a bang.  The same goes for the bump on the side of his head.  He could have touched his head on the sidewalk a couple of times during the fight.  After a hip replacement, I stepped up on a curb  with my weak leg which collapsed and back I went hitting my head on the pavement.  I didn't pass out but I had a bruise much, much bigger than Zimmerman's that has taken 18 months to completely heal.  If Martin was hitting Zimmerman's head on the concrete, the back of his head should be a bloody mess and not the scratches observed.

If I was Zimmerman, I would think of disappearing somewhere for at least a year or two if not forever, perhaps go to Texas or somewhere and change my name, but that is his call of course.  No doubt his desired  police career is over.  But the saddest thing about the whole affair was stated And then there’s the racial reality of the case.*  "The most damning element here is not that George Zimmerman was found not guilty,” writes Jelani Cobb. “It's the bitter knowledge that Trayvon Martin was found guilty.” * **

* http://webmailb.juno.com/webmail/new/5?session_redirect=true&userinfo=8b254f2f4f26b1dc56d8fe41da329a7b&count=1373918719&cf=SP2&randid=440173106
**  http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/07/george-zimmerman-not-guilty-blood-on-the-leaves.html?wpisrc=nl_wonk_b

No comments:

Post a Comment